Terms of Reference, Fund Distribution Committee, Ontario Equestrian “For the Herd” Campaign
- Animal welfare is of primary importance, and
- School horses and riding schools are the foundation of equestrian sport
- The COVID-19 crisis has forced the cancellation of riding lesson, the sole source of revenue for many of Ontario’s riding schools
- There is a grave risk of an adverse impact on horse welfare on a mass scale if schools are not able to feed their horses.
- Ontario Equestrian, a long-time partner to Equine Guelph, wishes to support its membership during this time of crisis.
Ontario Equestrian wishes to support its membership during this time of crisis and will be fundraising for the ongoing care of these animals during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Ontario Equestrian has struck a Fund Distribution Committee that will receive applications for funds and disburse them as it is able.
The committee members will consist of:
- One OE Board member (Chair of the Committee)
- Two certified riding coaches, who do not own any school horses
- One veterinarian
- One member of Equine Guelph (University of Guelph)
The committee members will score the applications based on a set of objective criteria, and rank them in order of urgency/priority.
Disbursement will be based on the following principles:
- The object of the funding distribution is to benefit school horses in the Province of Ontario
- Due to the scope of the need, the Committee will only be able to support expenses directly related to the immediate needs of the school horses’ care
- The review committee is blinded to the applications; the applications are evaluated without knowing the names of the stable owners
- Priority will be given to those who have, or commit to, reducing expenses where possible
- As a membership association, OE must operate on a trust & good faith basis and will not ask people to reveal confidential financial information such as bank accounts, contracts, etc.
- In-kind donations will be matched with applicants in a manner that matches the greatest need with the most effective logistics
Committee Member Conduct:
Committee members shall:
- Adhere to protocols that blind them to the identity of the applicants;
- Declare a conflict of interest and recuse themselves from discussion of any single application if they become aware of the identity of an applicant, and they know them personally, and/or do business with them;
- Maintain the confidentiality of all information collected.